A discussion at BarCamp Boston 7, on 7 Apr 2012. The discussion was broad and interesting; these are only my personal notes to guide the discussion. Whether you were there or not, comments are welcome below.
- What is a product manager?
- “Build the right product.”
- Understand what the right product would be.
- Learn from the market constantly.
- Focus the team.
- Be the “glue” between Marketing & Development.
- Talk to users/customers, build the feedback loop.
- Maintain spec & schedule.
- Why be a product manager?
- I got over-loaded on super-technical coding.
- I like figuring out the problem to solve more than solving a well-specified problem.
- I wanted to use my communication skills.
- I wanted to learn to be the awesome PM that I never had.
How to make the transition?
- Most PMs transition from somewhere.
- Marketing, Engineering, MBAs, …
- Startup vs. big company?
- My story: where I looked, how I got in, what I miss about engineering.
What brings you here?
- Who’s a PM now? Which of you came from an eng background
- Who’s an engineer?
- Who’s a PM?
- How can we help?