3 Jul 2004
shimon/travel , shimon/travel/New York City
My day today:
- Work. Ends early thanks to holiday and departmental generosity.
- Packing. For my trip this weekend to New York City. (*New* *York* City?)
- Sailing. My first time ever, on the Charles River, in a hurry. But absolutely wonderful — thanks Josh.
- Bus. 4.5 hours on the Fung Wah bus from Boston's Chinatown to New York's Chinatown. Highlights: overturned semi slows traffic on I-87(?); girl talking on cell phone accidentally gets abandoned at rest stop, forcing 15-minute panicked-girl retrieval operation; Spanish-speaking family with at least 4 children sitting directly behind me plays terrible Spanish-language rap songs on tinny little boombox the entire ride, yet somehow I not only manage to avoid strangling them but actually doze off a couple of times.
- Arrival. New York's Chinatown is way dirtier than Boston's.
- Subway. Miraculously, though I hop on trains with little actual clue where they will take me, I make my way through 3 lines to my desired stop on the upper West side.
- Comfort. A quiet studio apartment, a good long shower, and a window AC unit that keeps it a comfy 78 degrees.
- The Sublime. Free, reliable WiFi internet on the first try. The first try! I love this city.